• Installing syncTERM on linux Mint 21.1 cinnamon

From John Cybulski@1:275/89 to All on Fri Jun 9 19:15:15 2023
    Hey All,

Just installed Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on my Acer laptop alongside Windows 10 so its dual boot.

It seem to be working just fine and so far I like it.

Trying to install syncTERM on it but not have much luck. I'll point out i'm a total Linux noob :)

I managed to install Snap store and it works. I used it to install Mailspring and that went ok.

When I install syncTerm, I install it but its nowhere to be found. I go back to Snap store and it says its installed but I can't find it. Also when i type it in the search of the start menu, it doesn't show up.

Anyone experience this before? I'm guessing its something simple and i've also searched on google but all I find is issues with installing Snap store itself.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 (1:275/89)
  • From Juan Diaz@1:124/5016 to John Cybulski on Tue Jun 13 11:18:57 2023
    Re: Installing syncTERM on linux Mint 21.1 cinnamon
    By: John Cybulski to All on Fri Jun 09 2023 19:15:15

Hey All,
    hey there, just try typing "syncterm" in a terminal windows ?!
    May be?!

Best regards, Lord Woodoo
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to John Cybulski on Tue Jun 13 09:48:25 2023
    Re: Installing syncTERM on linux Mint 21.1 cinnamon
    By: John Cybulski to All on Fri Jun 09 2023 07:15 pm

I managed to install Snap store and it works. I used it to install Mailspring and that went ok.

When I install syncTerm, I install it but its nowhere to be found. I go back to Snap store and it says its installed but I can't find it.

First thing: don't use the Snap store to install SyncTERM. That SyncTERM is not official/authorized/supported and I think it's still a really old version of SyncTERM.

syncterm.net has the download link you're looking for.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #105:
    Synchronet YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Synchronet
    Norco, CA WX: 61.7°F, 84.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
  • From paul lee@1:105/420 to John Cybulski on Tue Jun 13 17:53:04 2023
    [SyncTERM]

I didn't know there was a Snap of Syncterm... anyway, theres probably just no syncterm.desktop file [Menu Entry File] for it. You can type 'syncterm' in ter terminal/CLI and press ENTER.

Also, MeaTLoTioN of Quantum Wormhole has written a perfect script you can use, or follow, to compile the NEWEST version by yourself. It still requires commands to be typed in the terminal/CLI, but its not too rough - he tells you EVERY command to install all needed pre-requisites and then install the software so that there IS a menu entry [syncterm.desktop file..]. Heres the link:

https://www.erb.pw/how-to-install-syncterm-for-linux-from-source/

^^ I use this script ALL THE TIME; basically, you just enter the commands just as listed; follow along and see Syncterm actually get COMPILED. If you have any issues, just post back here - or email me @ 2oFB and I'm willing to help.

Cheers!!

P.S. Netrunner is a binary download - you just run it... I prefer SyncTERM,
    but heres a link to Netrunner if you like; funny thing, tho, you'd still need to create a Menu Entry. LOL; there is a Linux package named 'alacarte' that
    is a GUI menu editor... :P

http://mysticbbs.com/downloads.html

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)
  • From paul lee@1:105/420 to Rob Swindell on Tue Jun 13 17:54:19 2023
    First thing: don't use the Snap store to install SyncTERM. That SyncTERM is not official/authorized/supported and I think it's still a really old version of SyncTERM.

You know... I was once thinking about trying to package SyncTERM in a Flatpak. Is that something you would frown on??

The process doesn't seem TOO involved, and I might be willing to commit to keeping a stable version updated. (Not the nightly/weeklies tho. :P)

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to paul lee on Wed Jun 14 10:19:35 2023
    Re: Re: Installing syncTERM on linux Mint 21.1 cinnamon
    By: paul lee to John Cybulski on Tue Jun 13 2023 05:53 pm

Also, MeaTLoTioN of Quantum Wormhole has written a perfect script you can use, or follow, to compile the NEWEST version by yourself. It still requires commands to be typed in the terminal/CLI, but its not too rough - he tells you EVERY command to install all needed pre-requisites and then install the software so that there IS a menu entry [syncterm.desktop file..]. Heres the link:

One important note: this builds/installs the latest development (e.g. alpha/beta) build of SyncTERM, not the latest release. The latest release is found here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncterm/files/latest/download

^^ I use this script ALL THE TIME; basically, you just enter the commands just as listed; follow along and see Syncterm actually get COMPILED. If you have
    any issues, just post back here - or email me @ 2oFB and I'm willing to help.

That script looks error prone, for example:
    # Change directory to
    echo "Change into the 'make' folder"
    D=$(ls -1hrtd sync*/|tail -1|sed 's/\/$//g')

Makes naive assumptions about the existence or absense of other directories named "sync*".

P.S. Netrunner is a binary download - you just run it...

FYI, there are nightly builds of SyncTERM development code too, e.g. ftp://ftp.synchro.net/syncterm-linux-x64.tgz ("just run it")
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #14:
    Karl Childers: Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. Norco, CA WX: 60.3°F, 86.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to paul lee on Wed Jun 14 10:21:34 2023
    Re: Re: SyncTERM SNAP/Flatpak
    By: paul lee to Rob Swindell on Tue Jun 13 2023 05:54 pm

You know... I was once thinking about trying to package SyncTERM in a Flatpak. Is that something you would frown on??

That's a question for Deuce really (SyncTERM is primarily *his* project). I saw he was working on a deb packaging recently, so maybe Flatpak and Snap are really unnecessary/bloated kludges anyway.

The process doesn't seem TOO involved, and I might be willing to commit to keeping a stable version updated. (Not the nightly/weeklies tho. :P)

You can find Deuce on irc.synchro.net.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #23:
    Whiteboy's gonna kick your ass if you don't stop wasting his time. - Hank Norco, CA WX: 60.3°F, 86.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Alexander Grotewohl@1:120/616 to paul lee on Wed Jun 14 15:26:04 2023
    On 13 Jun 2023, paul lee said the following...

SyncTERM, but heres a link to Netrunner if you like; funny thing, tho, you'd still need to create a Menu Entry. LOL; there is a Linux package

not really unique to syncterm/netrunner/etc ..

ultimately it'd be great if someone got syncterm into the main aptitude repository and maintained it. or set up a repository that can be added to fetch it from. thing is it'd be just like the snap one unless whoever kept up with it..

also, what ever happened to the 1000's of linux tutorials with lists of commands.. why can't a linux user use 'which' ..

this type of thing: https://rumorscity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/10-Linux-Unix-Command-Cheat-S heet-3.jpg

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:250/1 to Alexander Grotewohl on Wed Jun 14 20:34:18 2023
    Hello Alexander!

Wednesday June 14 2023 15:26, you wrote to paul lee:

On 13 Jun 2023, paul lee said the following...

SyncTERM, but heres a link to Netrunner if you like; funny thing,
    tho, you'd still need to create a Menu Entry. LOL; there is a
    Linux package

not really unique to syncterm/netrunner/etc ..

ultimately it'd be great if someone got syncterm into the main
    aptitude repository and maintained it. or set up a repository that can
    be added to fetch it from. thing is it'd be just like the snap one
    unless whoever kept up with it..

also, what ever happened to the 1000's of linux tutorials with lists
    of commands.. why can't a linux user use 'which' ..

this type of thing: https://rumorscity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/10-Linux-Unix-Comman d-Cheat-S heet-3.jpg

You mean something like :

man which

WHICH(1) General Commands Manual WHICH(1)

NAME
    which - shows the full path of (shell) commands.

SYNOPSIS
    which [options] [--] programname [...]

DESCRIPTION
    Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints
    to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe‐
    cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does
    this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed
    in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1).

which svn
    /usr/bin/svn

?

Using :
    Linux applewood.server 5.15.110-server-2.mga8 #1 SMP Mon May 8 18:00:38 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.8.3/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)
  • From paul lee@1:105/420 to Rob Swindell on Wed Jun 14 20:13:37 2023
    One important note: this builds/installs the latest development (e.g. alpha/beta) build of SyncTERM, not the latest release. The latest
    release is found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncterm/files/latest/download

Ahh - lol, thank you for that Rob. Derp; I've been using his link for ages. I'll update my meatlotion_syncterm.sh.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paul lee@1:105/420 to Rob Swindell on Wed Jun 14 20:18:06 2023
    That's a question for Deuce really (SyncTERM is primarily *his*
    project). I saw he was working on a deb packaging recently, so maybe Flatpak and Snap are really unnecessary/bloated kludges anyway.

Understood - a .deb would be really nice, but I do think a Flatpak might be the best way to offer easy installs to the Linux community. Everything is all packaged up; as if you don't know... I think its a great platform for an app like SyncTERM.

You can find Deuce on irc.synchro.net.

kk; thanks.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Alexander Grotewohl@1:120/616 to Vincent Coen on Thu Jun 15 00:40:35 2023
    On 14 Jun 2023, Vincent Coen said the following...

You mean something like :

man which

the point was that you'd have to know what man is, and what which is, before you can do that ;)

hence the linux cheat sheet text file, which there used to be several of.

... don't feed me just a sandwich, i want a man which meal

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (1:120/616)
  • From John Cybulski@1:275/89 to paul lee on Fri Jun 16 12:19:06 2023
    By: paul lee to John Cybulski on Tue Jun 13 2023 05:53 pm

Hey Paul,

I followed the directions and used the script and sucess!
    Took me about an hour but I got it. Thank you so much for helping.
    The install has a minor issue where I have black bars on the side in full screen mode. I googled it and there was a ticket put in for that #116 I believe but still looking for the resolution for it.
    For the Snap version, someone mentioned type syncterm in the terminal. Never tried that lol but I uninstalled that version so I'll never know.
    Thanks again!
    /s

[SyncTERM] > JC> I managed to install Snap store and it works. I used it
    to install
    Mailspring and that went ok.

I didn't know there was a Snap of Syncterm... anyway, theres probably just n

Also, MeaTLoTioN of Quantum Wormhole has written a perfect script you can us all needed pre-requisites and then install the software so that there IS a m

^^ I use this script ALL THE TIME; basically, you just enter the commands ju as listed; follow along and see Syncterm actually get COMPILED. If you have any issues, just post back here - or email me @ 2oFB and I'm willing to help

Cheers!!

P.S. Netrunner is a binary download - you just run it... I prefer SyncTERM, but heres a link to Netrunner if you like; funny thing, tho, you'd still nee to create a Menu Entry. LOL; there is a Linux package named 'alacarte' that is a GUI menu editor... :P

http://mysticbbs.com/downloads.html

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 (1:275/89)
  • From paul lee@1:105/420 to John Cybulski on Mon Jun 19 19:06:52 2023
    I followed the directions and used the script and sucess!
    Took me about an hour but I got it. Thank you so much for helping.
    The install has a minor issue where I have black bars on the side in full screen mode. I googled it and there was a ticket put in for that #116 I believe but still looking for the resolution for it.
    For the Snap version, someone mentioned type syncterm in the terminal. Never tried that lol but I uninstalled that version so I'll never know. Thanks again!

Nicely done; the real thanks, tho, goes to MeaTLoTioN of Quantum Wormhole BBS - I just often use it to streamline the install process.

One thing you can try to do to get both a full screen mode and the ability to drag the window to any size you like - make sure its running in SDL mode. I believe the mode you're running in is listed at the top of the syncterm window; X11, curses, SDL... SDL gives me the best results.

You can also force syncterm to run by using the following terminal command:

syncterm -iS

syncterm --help <-- will display all options.

You might, however, get a 'CIOLIB error' when trying to run in SDL; happens on Ubuntu, and yea... I sometimes get it working perfectly and on other systems not so much. :P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to paul lee on Tue Jun 20 17:14:02 2023
    Nicely done; the real thanks, tho, goes to MeaTLoTioN of Quantum
    Wormhole BBS - I just often use it to streamline the install process.

One thing that keeps me using NetRunner is that I can't copy & paste from Linux apps to/from the SyncTerm window. Please, someone tell me I'm a moron and that it can be done (and how) :-)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TassieBob BBS, Hobart, Tasmania (3:633/420)
  • From Dan Clough@1:135/115 to Bob Purdon on Tue Jun 20 08:35:00 2023
    Bob Purdon wrote to paul lee <=-

Nicely done; the real thanks, tho, goes to MeaTLoTioN of Quantum
    Wormhole BBS - I just often use it to streamline the install process.

One thing that keeps me using NetRunner is that I can't copy &
    paste from Linux apps to/from the SyncTerm window. Please,
    someone tell me I'm a moron and that it can be done (and how) :-)

Okay... you're a moron and it can be done.

When I'm in a Syncterm window, I left-click and hold, then drag to
    highlight the desired text on the screen. When I get to the lower-right corner of what I want to copy, I let go of the mouse button. The (blue) highlight goes away immediately, but the text is still copied into the clipboard/buffer. Then, in some other (Linux) app, I middle-click the
    mouse, and that highlighted text is pasted into that app.

I'm using Syncterm v1.1b in SDL mode, if that matters (and it might).

... Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:135/115)
  • From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Dan Clough on Wed Jun 21 07:36:18 2023
    Okay... you're a moron and it can be done.

:-)

When I'm in a Syncterm window, I left-click and hold, then drag to highlight the desired text on the screen. When I get to the lower-right corner of what I want to copy, I let go of the mouse button. The (blue) highlight goes away immediately, but the text is still copied into the clipboard/buffer.

Yeah, I was expecting a pretty standard copy & paste experience (same as NetRunner), but it's a no go on mine :-( I just recompiled and retried it.

Mine is 1.2b debug (Jun 21 2023) though - just the version from the web site.

But knowing that it's /supposed/ to work I'll spend some time digging deeper and/or exploring the earlier version you have (which doesn't compile out of the box on my Ubuntu 23.04 system).

Thanks for the feedback though - very much appreciated. At least I know it's supposed to work now :-)

Cheers,
    Bob.

• From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Dan Clough on Wed Jun 21 07:53:12 2023

SDL mode was the trick - copy & paste works fine in SDL mode.

1.2b, as compiled, defaults to X11 mode. 'syncterm -iS' forces SDL mode and it works.

Nice!

Thanks! :-)

• From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Bob Purdon on Wed Jun 21 07:58:04 2023
    1.2b, as compiled, defaults to X11 mode. 'syncterm -iS' forces SDL mode and it works.

...and SDL mode can be configured in the program settings menu as I just discovered :-)

• From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Bob Purdon on Tue Jun 20 15:39:32 2023
    By: Bob Purdon to Bob Purdon on Wed Jun 21 2023 07:58 am

...and SDL mode can be configured in the program settings menu as I just discovered :-)

Deuce (in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net) has been playing with detecting X Window managers or server (Wayland?) where the the clipboard behavior is not as expected. He could use more details on your system configuration.

X11 output mode is normally preferrable to SDL mode, but this clipboard issue has been stickler.
    e.g. this commit to have the clipboard function as expected when used on Chrome OS:
    https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/compare/f2918676e0225e3c3abe0cf146b918a5 --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #82:
    The clouds prepare for battle in the dark and brooding silence
    Norco, CA WX: 77.2°F, 44.0% humidity, 14 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Rob Swindell on Wed Jun 21 12:07:20 2023
    Deuce (in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net) has been playing with
    detecting X Window managers or server (Wayland?) where the the clipboard behavior is not as expected. He could use more details on your system configuration.

It's nothing special - Intel box, NVidia 3060 using the NVidia binary drivers (reasons), running KUbuntu 23.04. Only installed the OS a few weeks back, so hasn't had much time to accumulate the usual cruft :-) Pretty much an out-of-the-box install.

Happy to provide more info if ther's more specific questions.

• From Dan Clough@1:135/115 to Bob Purdon on Wed Jun 21 07:30:00 2023
    Bob Purdon wrote to Dan Clough <=-

SDL mode was the trick - copy & paste works fine in SDL mode.

1.2b, as compiled, defaults to X11 mode. 'syncterm -iS' forces
    SDL mode and it works.

Nice!

Thanks! :-)

Good deal, glad you got that sorted, and that's good info for me (and
    others) to know about the 1.2 version.

... HAL 9000 - Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Please, Dave.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Dan Clough on Wed Jun 21 16:50:29 2023
    By: Dan Clough to Bob Purdon on Wed Jun 21 2023 07:30 am

Good deal, glad you got that sorted, and that's good info for me (and others) to know about the 1.2 version.

SyncTERM v1.2 is not yet released, but it's a good time to test (v1.2b) and provide feedback.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #22:
    I got one more shot at that little skid mark. - Hank Schrader
    Norco, CA WX: 77.2°F, 39.0% humidity, 11 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Dan Clough@1:135/115 to Rob Swindell on Wed Jun 21 19:40:23 2023
    By: Rob Swindell to Dan Clough on Wed Jun 21 2023 04:50 pm

By: Dan Clough to Bob Purdon on Wed Jun 21 2023 07:30 am

Good deal, glad you got that sorted, and that's good info for me (and others) to know about the 1.2 version.

SyncTERM v1.2 is not yet released, but it's a good time to test (v1.2b) and provide feedback.

Indeed it is. I'll try to find some time to do that. Thanks!
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Christian Sacks@2:250/5 to Dan Clough on Wed Aug 9 15:10:04 2023
    On 21 Jun 2023, Dan Clough said the following...

I made an install script ages ago that should work for a handful of different linux variants;

https://erb.pw/how-to-install-syncterm-for-linux-from-source/

Hope it helps.

... If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)
  • From Rob Swindell@1:103/705 to Christian Sacks on Wed Aug 9 11:18:15 2023
    By: Christian Sacks to Dan Clough on Wed Aug 09 2023 03:10 pm

On 21 Jun 2023, Dan Clough said the following...

I made an install script ages ago that should work for a handful of different linux variants;

https://erb.pw/how-to-install-syncterm-for-linux-from-source/

Hope it helps.

That's cool. Maybe consider changing this line in that script to not use sudo? sudo make SRC_ROOT=$st_path

root access should not be necessary for *building* syncterm, only for the *install* command.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #21:
    The first commericial sale of Synchronet was to Las Vegas Playground BBS (1992) Norco, CA WX: 80.3°F, 61.0% humidity, 2 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Christian Sacks@2:250/5 to Rob Swindell on Wed Aug 9 20:31:27 2023
    On 09 Aug 2023, Rob Swindell said the following...

That's cool. Maybe consider changing this line in that script to not use sudo? sudo make SRC_ROOT=$st_path

root access should not be necessary for *building* syncterm, only for the *install* command.

Ah good point, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated! =)

... A Skydiver is taken by the gravity of his situation.

• From Christian Sacks@2:250/5 to Rob Swindell on Wed Aug 9 20:38:27 2023
    On 09 Aug 2023, Christian Sacks said the following...

That's cool. Maybe consider changing this line in that script to not sudo? sudo make SRC_ROOT=$st_path

root access should not be necessary for *building* syncterm, only for *install* command.

Ah good point, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated! =)

I've just modified the script, thank you muchly =)

... Shortcut: longest distance between two points