• Investments

From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Sun Sep 18 10:28:00 2022
    The anti-Trump effort was unprecedented; there has never been this m
    "need" to remove and defame a president." And now these money grabs unprecedented too. Do you think that is a coincidence?

I don't accept pretty much anything you said there:

1) I think that the anti-Obama effort was much worse, do you not remember
    the subtly racist remarks about President Obama's birth place and suggestions that he was Muslim? Obama was attacked mercilessly for things
    that were patently not true.

That comparison is flawed. Trump attacked Obama, yes, but nobody else did.

I believe it is flawed because it assumes that people only questioned his birthplace because his father was Black, not because he was a citizen of another country. If people had reason to suspect that Candidate X was born
    in Europe because one of his parents was a citizen of Sweden, I am sure it would have also come out in exactly the same way.

Other people did attack him aside from Trump.

What about all the unofficial charges? Like the one about him calling dead soldiers "cowards?" Or that "Trump refused to rent to blacks?" How about the one about "The president had a bad day today, and Melania appears to now have a black eye?"

He came close to, at the very least, mistakenly claiming that captured
    soldiers were cowards. I never heard the second one. Coming from the
    left, I always felt that last one was pretty weird, i.e. domestic abuse is nothing to joke about, and it seemed even weirder when a left-wing type did
    it.

I wasn't around in those days. Was the media giving it their all? Did Johnny Carson make Nixon jokes nightly for several straight years?

People made Nixon jokes right up until he passed away, at least.

4) I do not see any money grabs.

So you're feeling good about Biden's investments? I'm glad! But what is there to feel good about? Have you seen a return on this investment in any way yet?

Does it seem like it's the right time to start spending millions on influencing Pakistani culture?

Most certainly not.

Or how about billions to the same central
    American countries that send their people backpacking to the USA because of "problems back home?"

If it was keeping them home by improving things there, maybe. Politicians
    for years (since at least the Cold War) have been all about investing in Central American countries to keep Communism out, for example. More
    recently, some have been trying to encourage more left-wing governments
    there. Problem is that nearly all efforts to meddle in Central American politics have backfired. I don't see this changing for this administration, either.

You also forgot selling some of our Strategic Oil Reserves to foreign countries.

* SLMR 2.1a * Adolescence - the time between puberty and adultery.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Sun Sep 18 20:12:18 2022

Obama might have had other critics, but the media criticism of Trump was unprecedentedly widespread. There was a unification of many people in the effort to prevent (and later to remove) Trump.

TV shows like SNL have always picked on presidents, but David Letterman didn't criticize GWB on a nightly basis, and the news people didn't act outraged
    about everything that he (GWB) did or anything like that. They were "fine"
    with GWB being president.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to AARON THOMAS on Mon Sep 19 17:33:00 2022

Obama might have had other critics, but the media criticism of Trump was unprecedentedly widespread. There was a unification of many people in the effort to prevent (and later to remove) Trump.

The media proper, excluding some exceptions, were indeed kinder to Obama
    than they were to GWB before him, and certainly more so than to Trump after him.

TV shows like SNL have always picked on presidents, but David Letterman didn't
    criticize GWB on a nightly basis, and the news people didn't act outraged about everything that he (GWB) did or anything like that. They were "fine" with GWB being president.

SNL did not pick on Obama near as much as Presidents before him. They did
    pick on VP Biden some, IIRC. Even the Simpsons, who had poked fun at both Bushes, Clinton, Al Gore, Bob Dole, and even Ford, left Obama alone.

* SLMR 2.1a * I can keep a secret, it's the people I tell who can't.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Aaron Thomas@1:275/99 to Mike Powell on Tue Sep 20 02:38:43 2022
    SNL did not pick on Obama near as much as Presidents before him. They
    did pick on VP Biden some, IIRC. Even the Simpsons, who had poked fun
    at both Bushes, Clinton, Al Gore, Bob Dole, and even Ford, left Obama alone.

SNL had an audience to appease, and we're not that audience.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)